In Zenreader, you work with projects. A project consists of a collection of PDF documents, with all the highlights, notes, tags, outlines and tasks that you produce within this project.
Each project is saved in a folder on your computer.
- - This panel presents a table with all the imported documents and citations within the project.
- - This panel allows you to create, edit and remove tags for documents. It is hidden by default.
- - In this panel, you can search for words in any of the documents you have imported. N.B. You must first have opened a document at least once, before the search works. It is hidden by default.
The Document Inspector sidebar will allow you to modify the citation information for each document. You can also add tags to documents.
Clicking on Table View allows you to switch to the Kanban View.
- Create new columns as needed. For example: "To Read", "Read", "Critical Documents"
- Move documents from one column to the next, thus having a clear overview of what needs doing with each document
Project Import Wizard
From the Home Screen
Step 1: Open the Home Screen using the Navigation bar
Step 2: Click "Create Project"
From the Project Workspace Screen
Step 1: Open the Projects Workspace
Step 2: Open the Projects list panel on the left side, if not visible. To open it if it isn't visible, click on the open/close panel icon
Step 3: Click the + button circled in red.
Create a New Project
When the create project screen appears, choose "New Project".
You will have to choose a project title and a project folder path.
N.B. We recommend that you choose an empty folder for a new project. If you already have a folder with PDF documents for that project and nothing else, then you may point to that folder directly and those documents will be imported in the project as soon as it is created.
Before completing the project creation, you have the opportunity to import documents into the project.
Import an Existing Project
Please follow the instructions for opening the project wizard
When the project wizard appears, choose "Import Existing Project".
You will have to choose a project title and the full path to the folder containing the existing project. You can then follow on to the next screen and complete the import.
N.B. This operation requires the project folder to contain a
zenreaderProject subfolder, where we save all the internal project data.
Import documents into a project
To import documents or bibliographic information, you must open the document import screen. This can be done in several ways:
- 1| With a project open, navigate to the Project Workspace screen. Click "Import" and choose one of the options
2| Dragging and dropping a folder, a PDF document or a list of PDF documents from your file system anywhere in Zenreader (when a project is open)
3| When creating a new project or importing an existing project, you will be taken through to the import screen.
Import Document Screen
- You can click Add file(s) and select PDFs to add to a project
- You can click Add folder and select folders that will be scanned recursively for PDF documents. All documents will be added for import
- You can directly drop files and folders and these will be added to the import
- You can download webpages by entering valid URLs and a file name
Zenreader detects duplicate documents by comparing file sizes and if file sizes match, comparing the full contents of the file. Duplicates are hidden and will never be imported.
When you are done adding documents, just click "Complete import" and the documents will all be copied over into the project folder and become available for reading.
In Zenreader, you can import a BibTeX library file or manually add a citation.
With a project open, navigate to the Project Workspace screen. Click "Import" and choose "Add citation manually" or "Import BibTeX".
Remove a Project
You can remove a project from the list of projects by clicking the bin icon. This will remove the project from the list, but will not delete the data from your computer. The project folder will remain intact.
You may then import the project again.
Open documents for reading
You may double click a document in the documents table or Kanban board to open it in the Reader workspace.
You may also open the document from the Inspector Panel, by clicking the "Read" button in the "Document Information" widget.
The first time you do this, Zenreader analyses the text of the document, indexing it, so that the document appears in the global search results.